Friday 5 March 2010

I'M NOT LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE: THE 1990s BRITISH MOD SCENE by ENAMEL VERGUREN


This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours.

I started to write a quick review of the above and it ended up as a long look at the 90s mod scene. It begins:

"Go grab a cup of tea, pull up a comfy chair or click away now, because you’re about to get a chunk of my life story, wrapped in a history lesson, masquerading as a book review..."

To continue reading the whole epic yarn, see Modculture.co.uk.

I'm off for a lie down.

4 comments:

  1. "On publication my first reaction was what a bunch of scruffs."

    My reaction as well! Well done piece over there on modculture sir! I think shortly around this time I stumbled onto a groovy little zine called "Something Has Hit Me". I need to buy this book. Maybe the "Mod Chronicles" gang can get around to doing on on the U.S. thinggy in the 80's, the 90's one can just be a two page pamphlet as all the mods were gone by then.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, SHHM and Smashed Blocked were of course market leaders back then. But I never thought of it as "Modzine" yet almost everyone as called it that (apart from the more astute readers like your good self), but everything got lumped into one easy to manage pot. Which was what that piece was trying to get at. Had its good points as well as its bad I should say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It still astounds me how the whole 'zine culture functioned w/ no internet and how folks like yourself who I actually "wrote" to back then are accessible with the clack of the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funnily enough I wrote something today about how as good as the internet is (and doing pages like this is a doddle in comparison - and the instant communication is brilliant), you can't beat a "real" publication. Anything else still feels like cheating.

    ReplyDelete