Wednesday 28 July 2010

JULY PLAYLIST


Picked for the complete record rather than the lyrics; I’ve just used them to save conjuring up the usual twaddle. One thing though, I read yesterday that it’s rumoured Clydie King was a secret wife of Bob Dylan and they had two kids. Jolly. Good on ya Bobby.

1. Arthur “Big Boy” Crudup – “I’m Gonna Dig Myself A Hole” (1951)
“I might dig myself a hole/ Move my baby down in the ground/ You know when I come up/ There won't be no wars around”.

2. Butch Baker – “The Fat Man” (1966)
“When Fat Man hit Soulville, he was driving his Fatmobile”.

3. Otis Redding – “I’m Sick Y’All” (1966)
“Lord, I’m tired of it, honey/ Rain is cold, children/ Burnin’ my side, y’all/ Standing on the outside/ Water in my shoes, children”.

4. Clydie King – “Soft and Gentle Ways” (1966)
“Don’t use your misty eyes because I won’t fall again, I’ve seen those tears before”.

5. Merle Haggard – “Things Aren’t Funny Anymore” (1974)
“Maybe we laughed too soon/ Things aren't funny anymore”.

6. Dexy’s Midnight Runners – “There There My Dear” (1980)
“Let me try to explain, though you’d never see in a million years/ Keep quoting Cabaret, Berlin, Burroughs, J.G. Ballard, Duchamp, Beauvoir, Kerouac, Kierkegaard, Michael Rennie”.

7. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions – “2CV” (1984)
“We were never close if the truth were told/ All we ever shared was a taste in clothes”.

8. The Flaming Lips – “Ego Tripping At The Gates Of Hell” (2002)
“I was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came/ All the billion other moments, were just slipping all away”.

9. MGMT – “Time To Pretend” (2008)
“Let's make some music, make some money, find some models for wives/ I'll move to Paris, shoot some heroin, and fuck with the stars/ You man the island and the cocaine and the elegant cars”.

10. The School – “I Want You Back” (2010)
“Once upon a time I thought everything would turn out fine, just like lines in books”.

No comments:

Post a Comment