Friday 7 June 2013

DATE FOR THE DIARY: TUESDAY 25th JUNE - DAMO SUZUKI, ANDREW WEATHERALL and TOY at THE HEAVENLY SOCIAL


I’ve praised Idle Fret before for their interesting club/gig line-ups but the one in a couple of weeks really promises something out of the ordinary.

Damo Suzuki, former vocalist of Krautrock legends Can, is the main attraction. Damo travels the globe performing with his “sound carriers”: namely, sympathetic artists in the local area who he joins on stage to perform an improvised set, making each show totally unique.

His sound carriers this time are Heavenly Records’ psychedelic shoegazers TOY and the nautically themed instrumental quartet Listing Ships who mix “guitar histrionics, electronica and jazz rhythms”. What all of those artists playing together will sound like I have no idea. Could be brilliant, could be a disaster, but it will certainly be an experience.

If that wasn’t enough, the mighty Andrew Weatherall is the main DJ for the evening, supported by renowned illustrator Luke Insect (that’s his handiwork above), Idle Fret's Darren Brooker, and myself. In keeping with the unpredictable nature of this event I haven’t a clue what sort of set to bring to the party.

Tickets are available in advance for a tenner from We Got Tickets, or come along on the night to The Heavenly Social, Little Portland Street, W1 for £12.50. 7pm until midnight.  

5 comments:

  1. Hmm.I'm tempted.Only time I hear Can is on one of the odd plays on BBC6 and I've liked wht I've heard.Weatherall is always brilliant( I've never heard your good self so can't comment).It could be the best tenner I've ever spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be John, could be. I've no idea how it'll turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tickets bought.Looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff. Come and say hello. I'll probably be the one you expect.

    ReplyDelete